Thursday 26 February 2015

Birthday Makeup 2015 and Bomb Cosmetics Mini-Review

So it was my birthday yesterday. I had a very relaxing and laidback day, topped off with a meal at my favourite local Thai restaurant with my lovely partner.

My sister-in-law was nice enough to get me a nice bath set from Bomb Cosmetics; the Angel On My Shoulder set, which seems to have been a Christmas holiday set. I’ve not had anything from them before, but they seem to produce similar items to Lush.

The "Angel On My Shoulder" set from Bomb Cosmetics
Check out Bomb Cosmetics here:- http://bombcosmetics.co.uk/

Controversially, I have actually never even stepped into a Lush; I find the smell of the stores so offensive and overpowering that I can’t even get over the threshold, let alone in to buy anything to try, so I have no real point of comparison. I don’t often sit and soak in the bath anyway these days, so it’s something I’ve never felt the urge to try (I know Lush sells more than bath stuff, but still... can't bear the shops!).

Since I had my birthday to myself however, I decided I would have a play with my gifts from Bomb Cosmetics and treated myself to what was, in all probability, my first bath in about 3 years. I decided I most liked the smell of the Oh My Little Star Buttercup, which is the one with the whole star anise on the top.

This item, as advertised, takes a long time to dissolve fully in the bath. It doesn’t seem to contain any colour, but you can see a faint shimmer in the water, and of course, it smells great. I was quite surprised to find this, on its own, leaves a quite a bit of residue on your skin, in the same way that you would expect a lotion or body butter to do. I found it very moisturising, and I’m looking forward to trying some of the other bath items in the set.

The "Oh My Little Star Buttercup", mostly dissolved; you can see the shimmer in the water from the essential oils and creamy goodies in the buttercup

I followed my long soak in the bath with the China White Lotion, which I also received in the set. I had quite mixed feelings about this item, in that it’s definitely heavy for a lotion, which I prefer, and very moisturising, but I seriously did not like the smell. It smells, to me anyways, as though there’s some kind of banana base to it, and I despise all things banana. Either way, the scent was very off-putting; fortunately, it doesn’t seem to linger too long on the skin, and I did like the product itself. I’ll probably continue to use the lotion and put up with the smell.

The "China White Lotion" from Bomb Cosmetics; I loved how the product felt, but was less keen on the scent

Overall, for something I didn’t know I wanted until I was sat in the bath with my Etude House Collagen Patches on with Iron Maiden playing in the background, I’ve enjoyed my first foray into Bomb Cosmetics. From their website, their items seem reasonably priced and look adorable, so I may order from them myself in the future.

Finally on my birthday-related post, I went for a bright rainbow eyeshadow look to go out for dinner, as I was wearing a black and white plaid skirt, my suspender leggings, a loose fitting black and silver top and my Hell Bunny Ouija Board cardigan.  This colour combination is one I wear quite frequently (warm colours in the crease and cool colours on the lid, meeting at either end with yellow and purple), but this time, I recreated it with my Sugarpill eyeshadows, although I still used the trusty 88 palette for all my transitioning shades. I was really happy with how it came out.

Recreating an old favourite look with Sugarpill eyeshadows 

Something bright and vibrant to go out for dinner


All in all, I had a lovely day and was spoiled rotten by friends and family. There’s more birthday celebrations to come over the weekend, so I have that to look forward to as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment